The new disability care plan launched by Canada’s provincial and territorial governments will see thousands of people, mostly with chronic illnesses, move into the care of their primary care physicians and dentists, the federal government announced Friday.
The announcement was made by Health Minister Jane Philpott, who was accompanied by other senior ministers, including Health Minister Kelvin Goertzen and Justice Minister Peter MacKay.
The provincial plan is similar to the one the federal Liberals announced last week, with some notable differences, including the addition of some new features that will allow for a “preferred plan” for people with mental health conditions.
The provincial plan also includes an extra $3 billion for mental health services in 2020-21.
Philpott also announced that $200 million will be made available to Newfoundland and Labrador to fund an increased number of mental health beds in the province.
This will help improve the province’s health system, she said.
This plan is expected to save taxpayers millions of dollars over the next 10 years, and it will help address a challenge facing Canada’s public health system.
But critics of the plan, such as Ontario’s health minister, said it is simply not enough.
“It is not enough to spend a little bit more money on the people who are in care,” said Dr. Peter Hajek.
“They are still not in the care they need, and I’m very concerned that they will be left with a worse outcome.”
This new plan was announced just days after Ontario announced it would introduce a $400-a-month plan for people who do not have insurance coverage.